Scott Street

Scott Street
THE house

Thursday, September 1, 2011

OOPS!!!

Good morning!
This week is going by fast.  The roofers showed up early Monday morning.  There was about 8 of them working hard getting rid of all the shingles before new ones were delivered at noon.  I tried to stay out of their way and would drive by or ride bike over every so often.  At 7pm when I went over to lock up for the day the main man told me that when they took off the roof of 'attached' garage, it was done so bad that they were going to have to reframe the whole thing but he would keep the cost under $1000.  I knew the garage was going to be a problem.  Whoever had attached it years ago, didn't know what they were doing and it was only held up by 3 nails toenailed in.  So the roofer said it would be another day of labor for the crew.  I showed up at 7am to let them in on Tuesday.  I had things to do and drove by once at 2pm and then again at 7 to lock up.  It was then that I noticed they had put on the WRONG color of shingle!  It was a golden brown (which doesn't go with the light blue) and I had ordered a grayish color with flecks of blue, green and terra cotta.  Well, I thought that I was imagining things so I climbed in dumpster to get a scrap piece and put on my reading glasses so I could see better.  Sure enough, all this shingle had was browns and golds in it.  So I called roofer and left a message telling him that I think they had put on wrong color.  I thought I would do some more research so headed back over to house and found the bundle and brand - Everest, and color was Sunset Cedar.  Well, I had ordered Mystique, and color was Cedar, NOT Sunset Cedar.   Finally got a hold of roofer.  I felt so bad but I knew it wasn't my fault.  Everything got taken care of the next day.  I even went with roofer to make sure I got the right color.  The store said that because of the names being so close that there are mix ups all the time.  But, never this bad because the house was halfway done!  Framers never showed up yesterday and never got a call so don't know about them but new shingles being delivered this morning.
Also, got a call late Sunday from furnace guys so they installed the new furnace Monday.  Had to work around the roofers but what I have learned is you plan, plan, plan and it never works out how you expect it to.  oh well....
Another also,  electrician called at 7:30am (!) yesterday and wanted to get in the house to start his job.  It was already opened because I had got up at 6 and went to unlock it for the roofers. Two electricians showed up and worked til 4pm and still not finished.  There is a lot more electric work to be done than I thought.  All new outlets in each room (4-8 per room), new outside lights and outlets, smoke detectors in bedrooms and upstairs hallway, ceiling lights in 2 rooms that didn't have any, outlet for dishwasher and garbage disposal since they never had one, special outlet for microwave and all those fancy GFCI outlets for bathroom and kitchen.  The upstairs had its own electric box because it was an apartment at one time so they removed that and combined with the one in basement.  And there's other stuff they have to do according to code.  This is going to be a bigger expense than I was budgeting but new owners will never have to worry about electric, plumbing, roofing or furnace!
Bye for now, got to go and make sure I am getting the right color shingles

No comments:

Post a Comment